3.8.10

A Style to Call My Own: Cuisine

Growing up I was always a very picky eater. I’d only do cheese on my pizza, maybe pepperoni if I felt adventurous. I hated spicy food, onions, beans and peas, anything tomato (ketchup, salsa, etc.), everything I ate was as plain as I could get it and don’t even think for a second you’d get me to try any kind of International dish unless it was beef and broccoli. That all began to change, though, when I met my husband and he got me to start trying new things. Over the past few years I’ve had my eyes opened to a whole new world that now, I can’t imagine not experiencing. Caviar, sushi, blue cheese, ostrich, bison, squid, tripe, and my favorite- ox tongue. (Hey, don’t knock it ‘til you try it!) I will try just about anything twice. And let me tell you, it has taught me a lot, even things that relate to design, believe it or not, which is why it has made my personal style list. Great cuisine has become a huge part of my life and I’m going to tell you how it influences design for me.

THESUNBLOG.COMcheese

One thing about great food and design is that it doesn’t necessarily have to be complicated. I have found through eating and cooking that sometimes the best taste can come from the simplest ingredients. Presentation is the same way. It doesn’t always take a lot to make a dish look stunning. The key to great taste and presentation usually comes from having beautiful, fresh ingredients that are perfect in their own right. I mean think about it, what happens when you take five elements that are singularly exquisite and combine them? A WAM! POW! dish, that's what. And it works the same in design- sometimes a few wonderful things is all you need to create a jaw-dropping space. Simple as that.

Food - Blueberries on Vanilla IceCreamgelatofixedKind of hard to see, but this is the only picture I could find of this. Its a white chocolate gelato with white chocolate shavings and a micro orchid from Victoria and Albert’s at Disney World. One of the most beautiful dishes I’ve ever laid eyes on. A solid white plate, pure white chocolate gelato, and a vibrant magenta edible orchid on top. Yes indeed, there is a god…

LEARNINGHOWTOCOOKmixed%20greens  

partners.visitrenotahoe.comsushi7

crawfiscookwithjenniferh

Boiled crawfish, corn, and potatoes. That’s right- it’s Cajun food, baby, and it doesn’t get any better than that…

Fresh Herbs

Another thing the food gods have taught me is that composition is everything. You’ll hear me say this fairly often because I believe very strongly in the concept. Composition makes an outfit, a meal, and a room. The key is using items that compliment one another. You really want to create a contrast and a balance for something to truly be amazing. Mixing sweet, spicy, and salty, textures, colors- different notes combined to make one harmonious song. And again, it doesn’t always have to be complex to be interesting.

learninghowtocook.comMelon%20peach%20and%20proscuitto%20saladPeach, melon, and prosciutto salad. Mmmm…

thaifood-of-paradise.blogspot.compad-thai[1]Thai food- a fabulous example of composition…

And last but not least, color & texture. Even though I’ve already mentioned this, I feel it needs to be stressed a little more. Color and texture are qualities that are very important in food and design. Whether used sparingly or to create a festival for the senses, they are easy and high-impact. I am a texture addict (one of those gals that can’t buy anything without touching, feeling, and rubbing it first) and a huge fan of color, but have found that color appeals to me most when used sparingly. To me, it makes it more special and dramatic.

LEARNINGHOWTOCOOK.COMbeets%20shridded%20in%20bowl

Beets…

tanthairestaurant.comThai_food_2_353112343tinnedtomatoes.commango, rose wine and cinnamon sorbetMango sorbet…

beansBeans…

A parting tip: Many foods can be used literally in design. In my kitchen I have a glass bowl of mixed nuts and a white dish with gold trim filled with dried black beans that I think are gorgeous, not to mention functional. You can do the same with squash, spices (as I mentioned in my Love of Learning post), artichokes, etc. A cheap and fantastic way to add some charm and beauty to your kitchen or dining room.

nutsonline.com_filbertsbrazilalmondpecanwalnut02004AlFeast your eyes on all that texture…

pbpulse.comblack_beansthedailygreen.comroasted-brussels-sprouts-fd-lg

1 comment:

  1. My mom was a pretty marginal cook, but she made up for it with her presentation. She could make party trays that looked better than anything you'd purchase at a deli. Our raw vegetables were always prepared with garnishing tools. She is fond of parsley on the plate and sauces, you name it. I think that is why I'm so drawn to Eddie Ross's blog, it's all about presentation.

    ReplyDelete